Kilrea First Presbyterian Church marriage entries began in July 1825, just after Hugh Rodgers took up the pulpit at First Kilrea. The congregation had been vacant for some time, and Mr. Rodgers brought much vigour and ideas to his new congregation, including attempts to reduce the high marriage rates of younger couples in the town. He required that all couples intending to get married needed the permission of their parents before any ceremony could take place. Luckily for us, Hugh’s convictions had the wonderful side effect of him keeping records of all the marriages and noting the parents names, which was practically unheard of at that time in other churches.
Please note that where there is a blank ‘ _____’ in the text, that these are as originally left by Hugh Rodgers (presumably for the minister to complete when he knew the information), and were never filled in and this information is now lost.
No 1. On the evening of the 4th of July 1825 twentyfive married William Corker the son of ________ of the Townland of __________ a member of the presbyterian congregation of Magherafelt to Elizabeth Kyle, daughter of _______ Kyle & Mary Adams alias Kyle his wife, a member of the Congregation of Portglenone residing in the Townland of Teaneagh in the County of Derry.
Witnesses present at the ceremony: Samuel Adams.
Hu W. Rodgers, Minister.
2nd. On the evening of the 7th July 1825 twentyfive joined in marriage Richard Crayton, the son of Thomas Crayton and Peggy Maddigan, an inhabitant of the Townland of Killymuck and a member of the Congregation of Seceders worshipping at Bovidy, with Margaret McAughey, the daughter of Thomas McAughey and Betty Eagleson, his wife of the Townland of Killymuck and a member of the Kilrea Congregation.
Witnesses: Paul Smyrl, Jane Smyrl, Hugh Hamilton.
Hu. W. Rodgers, Minister.
3rd No. 3 On the morning of the 11th July 1825 joined in marriage Adam Boyle, son of William Boyle and Giles Bolton of the townland of Drumard and Congregation of Bovidy to Margaret Johnston, daughter of James Johnston and his wife Mary Gray of Drumard and a member of this congregation. Witnesses: Thomas Holt, Maria McCardy, Amelia McCardy, _____ Johnston.
No. 4. On the Evening of the 12th of September 1825, twentyfive, joined in marriage James Smyth son of John Smyth and his wife Margaret Orr a member of the Seceding congregation of Carnaboy to Elizabeth Lusk daughter of Robert Lusk & his wife Nancy McAteer, a member of this congregation.
Witnesses: Samuel Torrens, Nancy Hogg, Letitia Lusk.
No. 5. On the evening of the 14th of September 1825, twentyfive joined in marriage George Fleming son of ______ & _______ his wife, a member of the congregation of Finvoy to Jane Campbell daughter of George Campbell and ______________ his wife, a member of this congregation.
Witnesses: Rev. Archd. Jamieson, ______ Fleming.
No. 6. On the morning of the 27th of September 1825, twentyfive, joined in marriage joined in marriage John Reid son of Archibald Reid and Martha McClelland his wife to Ellen daughter of Neill McNeill now dead and Ellen White his wife, members of this Congregation.
Witnesses: William Burnside, William Reid and William Reid.
No 7. On the evening of the 5th of October 1825, James Wright of Bannville, Claragh, son of Thomas Wright and Sally Lennox his wife to Marianne Boyd, daughter of Hugh Boyd and Mary Henry his wife of Lismoyle in the Bovidy Congregation,
Witnesses: Thos. Woods?, Thos. Wright , Alex McClysher
No 8th. Joined in marriage on the morning of the sixth day -6th of October 1825 twentyfive Wilson Gordon of Lislea in this congregation son of Thomas Gordon now dead and his wife Jane Wilson & Mary Patton daughter of John Patton and Margaret Glasgow his wife of Tyanee in the Portglenone congregation.
Witnesses: John Taylor, Geo Gordon, Robt. Sloan.
No. 9th. Joined in marriage on the evening of the sixteenth of November Daniel McCay son of Charles McCay and Jane McCay of Lisnagrot his wife a Church of England professor to Mary Torrens daughter of John Torrens & Jane Catherwood his wife of the Townland of Drumnagardner in this congregation.
Witnesses: Wm Thompson of Kilrea, Adam Vance, Archd Torrens
The above marriage dated & occurred on the 16 of Nov 1825. Hugh Walker Rodgers, Minister.
No. 10th. Joined in marriage on the night of the sixteenth November eight hundred and twentyfive Arthur Stewart son of John Stewart and Jane M’Cartney his wife of Tamlaght O’Crilly village to Jane Wray daughter of Kitty Workman or Wray, the Father dead & mother now presiding in county Antrim & both parties members of this congregation.
Witnesses: Jno. Workman, Wm. Stewart, Sarah Wray.
Hugh W. Rodgers, Minister.
He has made the following note, as the name has been written over: “Read John Stewart. HWR”
No. 11. Joined in marriage on the evening of the seventeenth of November eighteen Hundred and twentyfive William Graham of Garvagh a Scottish Seceder to Molly or Mary Peden daughter of John Peden and Jane Kennedy of Tamlaght, Parish of Kilrea in this Congregation his wedded wife.
Witnesses: Jas Peden, Jno Kennedy, Jno Peden.
- Joined in marriage on the morning of the eighteenth of November eighteen Hundred and twentyfive Joseph Morrison son of William Morrison & his wife Elizabeth M’Cracken of Dunloy Covenanters, to Jane Clarke daughter of James Clarke and Peggy or Margaret Hanna his wife also Covenanters of Dunloy.
Witnesses: Wm. Thompson, Robert Patterson, Jas. Patterson.
- Joined in marriage on the Evening of the eleventh of January 1826 twentysix, William Dempsey son of John Dempsey & Martha Boggs his wife of the Townland of Claragh to Sally Boyde a Church of England professor & daughter of James Boyde now dead and Sally Boyde his wife of Kilrea.
Witnesses: Willliam Whitley, Maria M’Cardy
- Joined in marriage on the Evening of the sixteenth January 1826 twentysix, George Neilson of Tamlaght O Crilly widower to Jane Campbell, widow, her maiden name Macready now of Dromard – The Husband in this case a Seceder.
Witnesses: Jno Macready, Stewart Campbell
No 15. Joined in marriage James Connor alias Macnoher son of Hugh Connor and Nancy Arbuthnot his wife of the Congregation of Maghera & townland of Dunglady to Isabella Kelso daughter of Hugh Kelso & Agnes Morell his wife both of Tamlaght OCrilly in this Congregation – on Thursday the 26th of January 1826 married the above.
Witnesses: Aaron Workman, Eliza Kelso, Peggy Kelso.
No 16. Joined in marriage this Evening of the 11th February 1826 twentysix, Thomas Sloan of Moneygran son of _____ Sloan and ________ his wife deceased, to Margaret Irwin daughter of the late _____ Irwin and Martha Macgregor his wife of Lisnagrot – The Husband in this case a Seceder, the wife of this Congregation.
Witnesses: Robert Irwin, John Irwin, Robert Smith.
No 17. Joined in marriage this Evening of the 22nd February 1826 twenty six, John Craig of Claragh shoemaker son of John Craig & Jane Smyrl his wife now residing in Armagh to Mary Sloan daughter of John Sloan & Mary Robinson his wife of Claragh, all the parties being members of this Congregation.
Witnesses: William Thompson, _____ Smyrl, _____ Smyrl.
No 18. Joined in marriage this Evening of the 8th eighth of March 1826 Thomas Hutton son of Andrew Hutton & Nancy Gilmore his wife of Killygullib Glebe in this Congregation to Sally Wray daughter of William Wray & Sally Gilmore his wife of Timmaconway in this Congregation.
Witnesses: Alexr. Rainey, Hugh Hunter, Alexr. Gilmore.
No.19. Joined in marriage on the morning of the 23 March Robert Wilson son of James Wilson and Molly Hill his wife, a seceder and Blindman of the Bovidy Congregation to Elizabeth Gilmore daughter of Alexander Gilmore & Molly M’Ilfatrick his wife of Bovidy in this Congregation.
Witnesses: William Thompson, Hugh Hunter.
- Joined in marriage on the 7th of April 1826 John Moore son of ________ ______ his wife of the Townland of _______ and parish of _______ County Antrim to Jane only daughter of the late Paul Smyrl, Innkeeper, Kilrea by his wife Ellen M’Kinney alias _____ of this Congregation.
Witnesses: Kennedy Macaw, John M’Kinney.
- Joined in marriage this thirteenth day of April 1826 James son of James M’Cormic and Mary M’Neill his wife deceased of Moyknock to Sarah daughter of Daniel M’Cormic and Mary M’Ivor his wife of Coleraine, the former a member of this Congregation, the latter his first cousin and a Roman Catholic.
Witness: Chas. Stewart.
- Joined in marriage about twelve o’clock at night on the 14th of April 1826 __________ son of James Lennox of Moneysally & __________ his wife the presbyterian; to _____ Wallace daughter of Joseph Wallace of Lisnagrot and _____ Wallace his wife the latter of the contracting parties a member of this Congregation.
Witnesses: Hugh Hunter, Alexr. M’Clister, Jno Smyth, Robt. Wallace.
- Joined in marriage this 12th day of July 1826 John Pickett of the Royal Artillery son of John Pickett and ________ his wife both of Kilrea to Lavinia Pickett of Killyull daughter of Robert Pickett & Mary M’Fadden his wife.
Witnesses: Thos Grey, Wm. Reid, Jno Stewart.
- Joined in marriage this _____ day of ___ Robert Norris Junr of Kilrea, son of Robert Norris Senr and ________ his wife to _____ Boyde daughter of ___________ and ______ Hunter his wife.
Witnesses: Wm. Hunter, Jno. Brady, Robt. Norris, Senr.
- Joined in marriage this _____ day of ____ 1826 Kennedy Torrens son of _____ Torrens and _____ his wife to ______ daughter of ______ and ________ his wife.
Witness: _____ Adams
- Joined in marriage on this day 24th of August 1826 Robert Smyrl, son of late George Smyrl and Judith Jamison his wife of Claragh to Ellen daughter of Major Montgomery of Tamlaghtocrilly and Jane Haggarty his wife.
Witnesses: Geo. Smyrl, Alexr. M’Clister.
Ok.. 26 and 28 APPEAR to be the SAME EXCEPT the groom’s father is different.. ONE HAS to be wrong.. and WHERE is the Correct 26/28??
- Joined in marriage this 27th day of September 1826 William Savage now of Lislea son of _____ Savage and _______ his wife to Margaret Gordon daughter of late _______ and ________ his wife.
Witnesses: Wilson Gordon, Saml. Reid, George Gordon.
- Joined in marriage this 27th day of September 1826 Robert Smyrl of Claragh son of Robert Smyrl deceased and Judith Jamison his wife to Ellen daughter of Major Motgomery and Jane Haggarty his wife late of Tamlaght Ocrilly.
Witnesses: Alexr. M’Clister, Geo. Smyrl.
Ok.. 26 and 28 APPEAR to be the SAME EXCEPT the groom’s father is different.. ONE HAS to be wrong.. and WHERE is the Correct 26/28?? Or was the same entry entered twice to correct the error??
- Joined in marriage this 3rd day of Nov 1826 William Macartney son of James M’Cartney of Claragh & Catharine M’Allen his wife to Nancy Gilmore daughter of Archibald Gilmore and Isabella Gilmore his wife of Dromaine. Witnesses: Saml. Woods, James Morrell
- Joined in marriage this day of November 1826 Williamson son of ______ Williamson and ________ his wife to ________ daughter of ________ and ________ his wife the latter party seceders residing in the Bounds of the Bovidy Congregation & townland of ______. Witnesses: William Thompson, _____ Williamson.
- Joined in marriage this morning of the 16th of January 1827 Rev. Hugh Walker Rodgers minister of the Kilrea Presbyterian Congregation and son of Maxwell Rodgers & Jane Walker his wife late of Groggan near Randalstown previously of Edergale, Omagh; & now of Collin near Ballyclare, to Elizabeth eldest daughter of John Walker, late of Terrygowan near Randalstown, and now of Magherafelt and Martha Dickey his former wife, all the parties Presbyterians. By Jas Wilson, Presbyn. Minister of Magherafelt, County of Derry & for him by Hugh Walker Rodgers this registry is made out. Witnesses: Robert Booth?, Jno Walker, Maxll. Rodgers, Hu Walker, Thos. Rodgers.
- Joined in marriage this 17th day of January 1827 _____ Hogg son of Thomas Hogg and Nancy _____[blurred] his wife of the Townland of Coolhill & congregation of Aghadowey to Marianne daughter of Cornelius Toy of Gortin in this Congrn. and Peggy Gilmore his wife. Witnesses: Margt Rodgers, Alexr. Toy Junr.
- Joined in marriage this 31st day of Jany 1827 Peter Wilson of the Royal Sappers and Miners Capn. Waters Compy. to Ellen Wallace daughter of late Wm. Wallace and Nancy Black of Culmore, Parish of Rasharkin, Cy. Antrim. Witnesses: Robert Norris, Jno.? Sharkey, Jno. Smyth.
- Joined in marriage this 2nd Feby 1827 Isaac Macartney of Claragh son of James & Catharine McAllan to _____ Johnston daughter of James Johnston & Jane Dorrans of Drumsaragh both of this Congr. Witnesses: Wm Taylor, Saml? Woods.
- Joined in marriage this 20th March 1827 _____Sloan of Moyknock ____Snipe daughter of Wm. Snipe of same place he a covenanter & she a member of this congr. Witnesses: Wm. Snipe, Thos M’Neill
- Joined in marriage this ____ day of April 1827 John Gilmore, son of _____ Gilmore & _____ his wife of Bovidy to ___________. Witnesses: Wm. Thompson, Jno. Wright.
- Joined in marriage the 16th of May 1827 John Dempsey son of John Dempsey and ______ his former wife of Claragh to Grace Weir daughter of Alexander Weir and _______ his wife.
- Joined in marriage this 18th day of May 1827 David Thompson of Maghera son of David Thompson and Jane M’Dowell his wife of Maghera to Margaret eldest daughter of the late James Smyth of Tamlaght E?yne & Elizabeth Douglass his wife. Witnesses: Andr Smyth, _____Thompson, Jas M’Clelland.
Transcribed by Barbara Braswell and Denver Boyd.