Maghera Presbyterian Church Records

Presbyterian Church, Maghera 3Presbyterian Church, Maghera circa 1905Presbyterian Church, Maghera 2

 

Maghera Presbyerian Church has existed at it’s current location since 1792. It was previously located on Fair hill at where McKee’s Factory currently exists, where worship was held since 1660. A church was built at this location, but was destroyed during the Williamite Wars (1689-1690) when Jacobean forces destroyed many towns on their way to the City of Derry. The church was rebuilt, but by the 1790s it was felt a new church was needed and land for it was given to the congregation by the Clarks of Largantogher (who were presbyterian at that time) and this new chuurch was constructed during the pastorship of the Reverend John Glendy. This church was severely damaged by the Tipperary Militia during it’s occupation of Maghera after the 1798 Rebellion as the congregation (and the Reverend John Glendy in particular,) had sympathies for the United Irish Men (Watty Graham being the son of the Session Clerk).┬áThe current church was rebuilt in 1835.

 

Maghera Presbyterian Church Baptisms (1843-1878)

Maghera Presbyterian Church Baptisms (1878-1916)

Maghera Presbyterian Church Communicants Roll (1847)

Maghera Presbyterian Church Communicants Roll (1847-1865)

Maghera Presbyterian Church Communicants Roll (1866-1894)

Maghera Presbyterian Church Early marriages (1843-1846)

Maghera Presbyterian Church Marriage Registers (1845-1936)

Maghera Presbyterian Church Marriage Notices (1857-1860)

Maghera Presbyterian Marriage Notice List (1891-1897)

Maghera Presbyterian Church Burial Records (1861-65, 1891-1908,1940-45)